Find out more about
A brow lift or forehead lift, is the surgical procedure that is performed to raise and rejuvenate the eyebrows.
The skin around the brow, forehead and temple areas loses its elasticity in our late thirties. Due to the pull of gravity the skin begins to sag resulting in drooping of the eyebrows, formation of horizontal forehead wrinkles and vertical frown lines between the eyebrows. These signs give a tired, angry, or sad expression.
A brow lift addresses these problems surgically and is usually performed between the ages of forty and fifty, but in some cases also at an earlier age. There are several ways to perform brow surgery and your browlift will be tailored to your personal preference and to your forehead anatomy.
However, with the help of the new technology we perform a brow lift most commonly with the lighted endoscope and small instruments that are passed through small incisions hidden within the hair baring skin of the scalp (endoscopic brow lift).
With the endoscopic approach recovery is quick and downtime after surgery minimal.
- Safe procedure, rejuvenation result will last for several years
- Can be combined with other aesthetic treatments – blepharoplasty, facelift, rhinoplasty, etc.
- Limited postoperative downtime – up to 5 days
A brow lift, also known as a forehead lift, is the surgical procedure that is performed to raise and rejuvenate the eyebrow, forehead and temple area. Eyebrows are placed in an alert and youthful position.
Good candidates are patients with:
- Sagging brows that are hooding the upper eyelids
- Wrinkle lines that develop horizontally across the forehead
- Frown lines, the vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows
Not good candidates are patients with:
- People with unrealistic expectations
WHAT RESULTS TO EXPECT?
The result of brow lift surgery is
immediately visible. The final more detailed result of your surgery will appear
over the next few months. Differences between a surgical brow lift and
non-surgical rejuvenation, like Botox injections and fillers, are:
- Effect of surgery will last for many years
- Brow lift can correct more sever aging changes
- Surgery is more reliable to correct facial asymmetry
HOW TO PREPARE FOR TREATMENT?
For a brow lift procedure you will
be operated under general anesthesia, for which we need to correctly prepare
you. This means:
- Medical evaluation by the anesthesiologist in our OR center
- Take certain medication or adjust current medication
- Sometimes laboratory testing, cultures, or a cardiac film
To improve healing, you are advised to stop smoking both preoperatively and postoperatively for at least 2 weeks. Also, you may have to stop taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and other supplements as they can increase the chance of bleeding during surgery and bruising after surgery.
Know more about
You will be given general anesthesia so that you will be comfortable during the brow lift procedure.
We most commonly perform an endoscopic brow lift. In this procedure an endoscope (a thin tube with a camera on the end) and other special instruments are placed through small skin incisions (around 2 cm) made within the hairline. Using the endoscope, we can avoid scars near the brow and still lift your drooping eye brows and further open the upper eyelids.
A high forehead is an anatomical variation in which your hairline is positioned further back than normal. In this case, an endoscopic brow lift may not be the best procedure for you. Instead, in these cases we perform a pretrichial brow lift in which the incision is made just in front of the hairline and part of the forehead skin is removed. The incisions are designed such that the final scar is barely visible. Using this technique, the brow can be repositioned to a more desirable level while at the same time the hair line -of what is considered to be a high forehead- is lowered.
Time to heal
During the first 24 h after the operation, your forehead will receive a bandage to minimize swelling and bruising in the operated area. Initial wound healing may take 10 to 14 days, after which sutures, or staples will be removed. At that time, you will be able to return to work and normal activity. Our skin therapist can help you camouflage any bruising. Although your new youthful look will be satisfactory at this time, it may take several months to completely recover as the swelling dissipates and incision lines refine and slowly fade.
most common side effect of the surgery is bruising of the forehead, which
subsides in few days. Numbness of the forehead is the second most common complication which will disappear in a few
potential risks and complications of the surgery are extremely rare, especially
in the hands of a qualified surgeon, but include:
- Loss of some hair around the incision
- Facial nerve injury with weakness or paralysis
- Pain, which may persist
- Poor wound healing
- Revision surgery
They will take care of you
MEET THE TEAM
PETER JFM LOHUIS, MD PHD
BORIS FILIPOVIĆ, MD PHD
BOŽO GORJANC, MD
MAJA KOVAČEVIĆ, MD
LUKA VIDAKOVIĆ, OR TECHNICIAN
SANJA ŠKOPAC, BEAUTICIAN
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
· Brow lift can be performed using several techniques, all of which are performed in our clinic.
· The final decision which technique to use will depend on your facial anatomical features, wishes and needs.
· The downtime after surgery is around 7 days, after which you can resume your work activities.
· In case a complication occurs, we will analyze it and treat it immediately.
· The results of your brow lift surgery are immediately visible.
· The final result will appear over the next few months after all post-surgical swelling is resolved and incision lines fade.
Feel free to
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Fill out the questionnaire and schedule your first visitCONSULTATION